General Information


Academic questions should be addressed to the Office of the Registrar, 707-826-4101, first floor, Student & Business Services building.


Good Standing: Extended Education & Global Engagement students whose cumulative grade-point average is 2.0 or above are considered in good academic standing.

Academic Probation: Extended Education & Global Engagement students will be placed on academic probation if at the end of a term the overall grade-point average is below 2.0 (C grade average).

Disqualification: If an Extended Education & Global Engagement student is on academic probation and achieves a grade-point average below 2.0 for the following semester, the student will be academically disqualified. A disqualified student will be excluded from Extended Education & Global Engagement for one academic year, after which that student may petition the College of Extended Education & Global Engagement for reinstatement. The student must demonstrate the ability to maintain the minimum grade-point average for Extended Education & Global Engagement in order to be reinstated.

NOTE: HSU students who have been academically disqualified from the university will also be excluded from Extended Education & Global Engagement/Open University for one academic year.


The College of Extended Education & Global Engagement offers degree programs, certificate programs and individual courses. Students who intend to enroll in a CEEGE degree program (Leadership BA, Masters in Social Work and MA in Anthropology) must apply through the CSU admissions process. See the individual program websites and the HSU Office of Admissions website for application procedures and deadlines. Some certificate programs also require an application, but these do not go through the CSU admissions process. See the individual certificate program websites for application procedures and deadlines.

For students not enrolling in degree programs, registration in individual courses requires no formal application to the university. Transcripts or high school diplomas are not required to enroll, and there are no California state residency requirements. However, students may be required to provide proof of completion of course prerequisites to the instructor and/or department. Registration in this manner does not constitute admission to HSU. See registration procedures.


You may audit any credit-earning class without taking an examination or receiving a grade. Attendance at all classes is expected. You will pay the same fee as a credit enrollee.You must turn in an audit form with instructor signature when registering. You may obtain an audit form from the College of Extended Education & Global Engagement. You may not change from audit to credit status after instruction has begun.

A grade of "AU" will appear on the final grade roster, and the course with the "AU" grade will appear on the permanent record. There are no grade points earned nor are the units counted in earned, attempted or g.p.a. hours. Courses "audited" are not eligible for inclusion in the determination of full/part-time status.


The College of Extended Education & Global Engagement will attempt to notify students of any cancelations in course offerings. It is therefore important for students to register early and notify the College of Extended Education & Global Engagement of any changes to your address, phone number or e-mail.

For canceled classes, full refunds for non-credit and extension courses will be issued automatically. Open University students should contact the College of Extended Education & Global Engagement to request a refund. Once the College of Extended Education & Global Engagement sends the refund request to Student Financial Services, please allow 14-28 days to receive a refund. Credit card refunds are in the form of a credit on account.


The HSU Children's Center summer services will provide a full range of services with approximately one-half of the regular academic year enrollment. Services to be provided will include toddler and preschool care from 7:30 a.m.-5:30 p.m. daily and meal service. The grant from the U.S. Dept. of Education to serve low-income student parents will be available during the summer. Due to limited space availability, please contact the Children's Center as soon as possible at 707-826-3838.


Extended Education students may use computer labs on campus during open lab hours. A current ID card is required.

For information regarding schedules, locations, information, policies and problem reporting as well as information on obtaining and using an e-mail account, contact Academic Computing, 707-826-4357, or visit the Academic Computing website.

For login or password assistance, go to myHumboldt and click "Forgot your user name or password?" or contact the Help Desk at 707-826-HELP (4357) or e-mail. The Help Desk is typically available Mon.-Fri., 8 a.m.-10 p.m., and Sat.-Sun., noon-10 p.m. See the ITS support website for more information. Students are charged four cents per page for printing in the computer labs. For more information, refer to Student Printing or contact the Help Desk at 707-826-HELP(4357) or by e-mail.


The CEU is a nationally-recognized unit of measurement for non-degree educational experiences. Some courses offer CEUs for relicensing or professional development purposes. CEU credit cannot be applied toward degrees. One CEU is awarded for each 10 hours of instruction (each hour of instruction equals 0.1 CEU)


HSU course numbers 100-499 are undergraduate level courses. 500-level courses satisfy both the advanced degree requirements for a baccalaureate degree and some portion of the requirements for a master's degree. 600-level courses are open only to graduate students and 700-level is used for credential/licensure courses. Course numbers with an "X" are approved for extension academic credit and are designed primarily for electives or professional development purposes.


Credential requirements are stated in the HSU general catalog. Individual inquiries should be directed to the Credential Analyst, Office of the Registrar, Student & Business Services building, 826-4101.


Students may opt to take some courses on a credit/no credit basis in place of a letter grade. To do so, students must complete the required form at the College of Extended Education & Global Engagement before half the course has elapsed. Note that only one class per semester may be changed to this mode, no classes in the major area, and only 24 units of credit/no credit units (both mandatory and optional units) may be applied towards an undergraduate degree.

A "CR" grade will be recorded for an undergraduate course if the earned grade is C- or above, and B- for graduate courses.


The maximum extension credit which can be accepted by Humboldt State University toward a bachelor's degree requirement is 24 units, and not more than 8 units may apply to a master's degree. Extension classes may count toward teaching and school service credential requirements. They do not meet specific requirements for degrees or credentials, but may be counted as elective credits. Lecture classes are required to meet 15 hours for each unit of credit.


See Extended Education Dates to Remember: Upcoming holidays, deadlines, and more.


Trying to find someone or somewhere on the HSU campus? Go to the HSU Searchable E-mail/Phone Directory.


Students with verified temporary or permanent disabilities may be eligible for a variety of academic support services. Services may include: exam accommodations, notetaking, readers, campus access assistance, interpreters, and disability management advisement. Submission of disability documentation and requests for services should be made as soon as possible to Student Disability Resource Center. For more information, please call 707-826-4678 (voice) or 707-826-5392 (TDD) or visit the Disability Resourses website.


All registered students are eligible for a personal e-mail account. Registered students will automatically have an e-mail account established. Refer to Computing Services & Labs for additional information.


The schedule of courses is subject to change. In the event of unexpected room changes, please contact the College of Extended Education & Global Engagement. Extended Education & Global Engagement will attempt to notify students of any changes in course offerings. It is therefore important for students to register early and notify the College of Extended Education & Global Engagement of any changes to your address, phone number or e-mail.


The College of Extended Education & Global Engagement reserves the right to substitute instructors for any of its classes.


Field trips and activities have inherent risks. To participate in a class field trip or activity, you must complete a Release of Liability form and return it to CEEGE. Students will be contacted on a course-by-course basis for more information regarding the field trip or activity, and the required forms.


For courses awarding academic credit, letter grades (A-F) are received unless the course is audited or taken for Credit/No Credit (CR/NC). If you wish to audit a course, you register and pay the same fees as students enrolled for credit. An Incomplete (I) may be assigned when you are unable to complete the course requirements within the official period of the course. An incomplete must be made up within one calendar year from the end of the course or the grade automatically converts to an F.

Grades will be available approximately one week after the term ends. Students may access grades through myHumboldt. You will need a user name and password to access myHumboldt. Once logged into myHumboldt, click on the "Student Center" button at the top. Refer to "Student Center" below for additional information.

For login or password assistance, go to myHumboldt and click "Forgot your user name or password?" or contact the Help Desk at 707-826-HELP (4357) or e-mail.


Extended Education students enrolled in fall and spring concurrent enrollment courses (Open University) equivalent to at least six units per semester are eligible to use the Health Center on a fee-for-service basis. Services are limited to care of basic illness and injury; there is a visit fee of $25. The Health Center is closed in the summer. Contact the Health Center at 707-826-3146 for more information.


High school students who have completed their sophomore year of college-preparatory courses with a 3.0 or higher grade point average may enroll in 2 courses per academic school year at Humboldt State University; additionally, up to 2 more courses may be taken during summer term. Courses must be at a level beyond what is available at high school.

In order to register, students must obtain the approval of their high school principal, HSU course instructor, and academic department. Enrollment is limited, on a space-available basis, to courses appearing in the semester's Schedule of Courses. It is recommended that students register in courses bearing the 100-299 course designations, and students are expected to meet established prerequisites for courses (if applicable). Registration is through the College of Extended Education & Global Engagement. For specific information on the registration process and fees, see High School Concurrent Program.


Holds are placed on student accounts for any debts owed to the university, or for certain non-monetary reasons. These holds will prevent you from registering, receiving grades and transcripts, etc. You will need to allow one business day after clearing a hold before attempting to register or receive other services.


Extended Education & Global Engagement students may be eligible for on-campus student housing facilities with proof of registration for classes; however, space is very limited. For more information, contact Housing & Dining Services: 707-826-3451.


HSU will generate a unique 9-digit student identification number for you, called the HSU ID, after you register.

Your HSU ID should be used in every HSU correspondence. Make note of the number and use it whenever you are conducting business with HSU, as a protection from identity theft.


Student identification cards are necessary for library privileges, for using computer labs, for purchase of educationally-priced software and computers from the HSU Bookstore.

Extended Education & Global Engagement students may purchase an ID card for a one-time fee of $5. ID card fees must be paid to the College of Extended Education & Global Engagement.

Other valid student ID card benefits include the Jack Pass, which is available from Student Financial Services at a discounted rate. (See Jack Pass below.)

Use of the HSU Student Recreation Center at a rate of $73 per term is also an option available with a valid Student ID card. The Recreation Center offers a variety of cardiovascular and weight training, an indoor track and a climbing wall. Show your valid ID Card and pay the fee at the Recreation Center.


The HSU Jack Pass program offers students unlimited ride access on the Redwood Transit System (RTS) buses, the Eureka Transit System (ETS) buses, and Arcata and Mad River Transit System (A&MRTS). Currently enrolled Extended Education & Global Engagement and OLLI students are eligible to purchase the HSU Jack Pass for $60 per semester, at the Student Financial Services window on the second floor of the Student Business Services building.


Unless otherwise specified in program literature, a $25 late fee will be applied if registration is not received and paid prior to the second class meeting for extension, OLLI and special session courses. A $25 late fee will be applied after the second week of instruction for full term Open University classes.

In addition, late registrations will not be accepted after the third class meeting for extension courses.

See Registration for more information.

Instructors may exclude a student from attending courses until the student is able to provide proof of registration.


A valid student ID/Library card is required to check out materials from the library. (Refer to Identification Cards above)

Current library hours are on its website. Hours are subject to change.


Looking for a location on the HSU campus? Download a Campus Map.


Matriculation refers to those students who have been admitted to Humboldt State University and are eligible to register for the current semester. Matriculated students register for extension courses through the College of Extended Education & Global Engagement (not via Student Center) and must pay the stated course fee.

Graduate students needing to maintain continuous enrollment should contact the Graduate Studies Office for guidance (707-826-3949).


If your name has changed since your last attendance at Humboldt State University and you would like your university records to reflect your current name, please supply the following information and documentation to the College of Extended Education & Global Engagement:

  • Current full legal name and address;
  • Previous full name; student ID or social security number
  • Copies of one legal document such as valid driver's license or social security card showing new name
  • A signed and dated request that the College of Extended Education & Global Engagement change its records


The California State University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, physical disability, or sexual orientation in the education programs or activities it conducts.


Anyone who is not formally admitted to the university may participate in regular university classes for the fall and spring semesters on a space-available basis.

If you were regularly enrolled at HSU during the previous semester (6 months), Open university enrollment is not permitted. Registration is easy -- formal admission and transcripts are not required.

Open University courses taken through Extended Education & Global Engagement will count in Undergraduate/Graduate units earned, grade point average and residence credit.

A maximum of 24 semester units in Open University earned through Extended Education & Global Engagement in non-matriculated status may be applied toward a bachelor's degree, and no more than eight units may apply to the master's degree.)


Osher Lifelong Learning Institute (OLLI at HSU) offers non-credit short-term classes for learners aged 50 and better. OLLI at HSU is offered through the College of Extended Education & Global Engagement.


The Over 60 Program is offered to those age 60 and over, through the College of Extended Education & Global Engagement.


A parking permit is required 7 a.m.-10 p.m. Monday-Thursday and from 7 a.m.-5 p.m. Friday, year-round. No permit is required for Friday evening and weekends. Daily parking permits may be purchased from any of the red daily parking permit machines which accept quarters only. Other summer session permits can be purchased at the Student Financial Services Office in the Student & Business Services Building at Harpst and B streets.

Metered parking is available at various places around the campus. There are some 30 minute and 1 hour meters, but most have 4 hour limits.

Parking fees are:

Academic year permits: $315

Daily parking permit: $3.50

Fall/Spring Semesters:
Automobiles: $157.50 per semester
Motorcycles: $40 per semester


Automobiles: 1 week: $10.50
2 weeks: $21.00
5 weeks: $52.50
10 weeks: $105.00
Motorcycles: $26.50

Parking fees are subject to change.


The full text of the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA, Buckley Amendment), as amended, is in the HSU Catalog or is available for inspection in the Student Affairs Office.

The campus is authorized under FERPA to release directory information concerning students. This includes the student's name, address, e-mail address, telephone listing, date and place of birth, major field of study, participation in officially recognized activities and sports, weight and height of members of athletic teams, photographs, dates of attendance, degrees and awards received, and the most recent educational agency or institution attended by the student. Written requests specifying information not to be released should be sent to the College of Extended Education & Global Engagement.


California State University programs for professions that require licensure or certification are intended to prepare the student to meet California licensure and certification requirements. Admission into programs for professions that require licensure and certification does not guarantee that students will obtain a license or certificate. Licensure and certification requirements are set by agencies that are not controlled by or affiliated with the California State University and licensure and certification requirements can change at any time.

The California State University has not determined whether its programs meet other states' educational or professional requirements for licensure and certification. Students enrolled in a California State University program who are planning to pursue licensure or certification in other states are responsible for determining whether they will meet their state's requirements for licensure or certification. This disclosure is made pursuant to 34 CFR §668.43(a)(5)(v)(C).


Refund checks are mailed to your local mailing address. You should receive your refund in two to four weeks.

Credit card refunds are in the form of a credit on account.

See Drop and Refund Policy for details regarding withdrawal and refunds.

Requests for retroactive refunds due to extenuating circumstances must be received within six months of the last day of the course.


Requests for retroactive credit due to extenuating circumstances will be processed for up to one calendar year after the course ends. Students will pay the registration fees and a $25 late fee per course.


Smoking is not permitted anywhere on campus.


Students are required to provide the University with their social security numbers (individual taxpayer identification numbers) pursuant to the authority contained in Section 41201, Title 5, California Code of Regulations, and Section 6109 of the Internal Revenue Code. The university uses the social security number to verify records pertaining to the student and, if needed, to collect debts owed the university. Also, the Internal Revenue Service requires the university to file information returns that include the student's social security number and other information such as the amount paid for qualified tuition, related expenses, and interest on educational loans. That information is used to help determine whether a student, or a person claiming a student as a dependent, may take a credit or deduction to reduce federal income taxes (see Tax Credits). Students who do not have a social security number at the time of enrollment will be required to obtain a social security number and submit it to the university within 60 days. Failure to furnish a correct social security number may result in a penalty by the Internal Revenue Service.

Students will be assigned a unique HSU ID number for identification purposes (refer to "ID Numbers") but the social security number will still be required for other verification purposes.


The credit conferred by Special Session classes is similar to that awarded during the regular academic program, i.e., resident credit, and may meet specific requirements for degrees or credentials.



The Student Center is the primary online location for students to check grades, change addresses, and check account records. It is accessed through myHumboldt. You will need a user name and password to access myHumboldt. Once logged into myHumboldt, click on the "Student Center" button at the top.

For login or password assistance, go to myHumboldt and click "Forgot your user name or password?" or contact the Help Desk at 707-826-HELP (4357) or e-mail.


Anyone may participate in Summer Session classes on a space-available basis. Formal admission and transcripts are not required.

The Summer Session program allows enrollment in HSU credit-bearing classes, provided that there is space available and prerequisites are fulfilled. The College of Extended Education & Global Engagement cannot guarantee you a space nor assure you will be permitted to enroll in any class. Instructor approval may be required, if a course has prerequisites.

Summer Session courses taken through the College of Extended Education & Global Engagement will count in Undergraduate/Graduate units earned, grade point average and residence credit.

Fees per Summer Session unit may differ from Open University fees.


If you are enrolled in an eligible degree or certificate program or are taking courses to acquire or improve job skills, you may qualify for a Hope Scholarship or Lifetime Learning Tax Credit. The Hope Scholarship tax credit is available only to students in their first two years of postsecondary education who are enrolled at least half-time in an eligible program. The Lifetime Learning tax credit is available to students at all educational and enrollment levels who are enrolled at an eligible educational institution. The tax credits are based on the amount of qualified tuition and fees, less grants and other tax-free educational assistance, and the taxpayer's modified adjusted gross income. Hope credits apply to fees paid after December 31, 1997 and the Lifetime Learning credit applies to fees paid after June 30, 1998. Consult IRS Publication 970 or your tax preparer for additional information.


Official transcripts may be requested from the Office of the Registrar via mail, fax, scanned PDF via e-mail or in person. Unofficial transcripts may be printed right from your computer. The current fee for official transcripts is $4 for the first copy, and $2 for each additional copy requested at the same time. Expedited service (within three days) is available for an additional $10 fee. A transcript request form may be downloaded from the transcript page on the Office of the Registrar website. Payment methods are also detailed on this website. Online payments are accepted through Student Center.

Each request for transcripts must include:

  • YOUR SIGNATURE and date (this is your authorization to release the records to the designee)
  • Your current legal name (and all prior names used while attending HSU)
  • Your full address and phone number
  • Your date of birth
  • Your HSU Student ID number (preferred) or Social Security Number
  • Dates of attendance at HSU (include any breaks in attendance)
  • When to mail transcript: Immediately or wait until the current term's grades or your degree posts
  • Complete mailing address of agency, college, or individual to whom transcripts shall be sent (and phone number for overnight delivery)

Official transcript requests typically take 7-15 business days, but may be as long as six weeks if request is made at the end of the semester. Your request will not be processed if you have any outstanding financial or administrative obligations to the university. For further information, contact the Office of the Registrar at 707-826-4101 or e-mail


Students who need an official verification of current enrollment may request this verification in writing from the College of Extended Education & Global Engagement Registrar.


Students eligible for state or federal veterans' benefits should contact the Veterans Enrollment and Transition Services, located in Campus Events Field Building 8. Call 707-826-6271 or refer to the Veterans Enrollment & Transition Services website. Fee waivers generally do not apply to courses offered through the College of Extended Education & Global Engagement.