Open University

University classes open to everyone

Open University provides an opportunity for those who are not currently admitted to Humboldt State University to enroll in university courses in the fall and spring.

The Open University program allows enrollment in HSU credit-bearing classes, provided that there is space available and prerequisites are fulfilled.

HSU has many options to meet your professional goals.

See the complete HSU schedule of classes

The registration process is easy. Admission to the University is not required, and the same fees apply to everyone.

LIMITATIONS: College of Extended Education & Global Engagement cannot guarantee you a space nor assure you will be permitted to enroll in any class. Instructor and department chair approval is required even if space is available.

Open University is NOT available to matriculated students (those admitted for the current semester).

Open University courses taken through Extended Education & Global Engagement will count in Undergraduate/Graduate units earned, grade point average and residence credit.

A maximum of 24 semester units in Open University earned through Extended Education & Global Engagement in non-matriculated status may be applied toward a bachelor's degree, and not more than eight units may apply to the master's degree.

Easy Steps to Register

Registration for Open University begins two weeks before the start of the fall and spring terms.

  1. Select the courses you want from the sample listing in the Extension bulletin or the regular HSU Schedule of Classes.
  2. Print and fill out the REGISTRATION FORM (PDF). (PDFs require the free Adobe Reader) You may also call 826-3731.
  3. E-mail the instructor and department chair to obtain permission to take the course and attach e-mails to registration form. Or you may attend the first class meeting and acquire the instructor's and department chair's signatures. Registration is on a space-available basis.
  4. Return your signed form (e-mail or hard copy) to the College of Extended Education & Global Engagement and pay your fees by the semester registration deadline. See deadlines.

NOTE: Registration procedures differ for the following programs:


The College of Extended Education & Global Engagement can accept payment by check, money order, cash or credit card. Please make all checks or money orders payable to Humboldt State University.

Full payment of fees is required at the time of registration.

NOTE: Instructors may exclude a student from attending courses if the student cannot provide proof of registration for the course.



VISA, Mastercard and Discover are accepted for payment

Open University fees are subject to revision.

Some courses may also require an individual course fee, as indicated in the schedule of classes.