Over 60 Program

Summer 2024 registration is now open.

If you are age 60 or older and a California resident, you are invited to participate in the Cal Poly Humboldt Over 60 Program. Through this program, you can attend regular Cal Poly Humboldt classes at a discounted rate -- up to 6 units for only $62! 


The benefits of enrolling in the program include:

  • Discounted bus transit (Humboldt County)*

  • Cal Poly Humboldt library access 

  • Discounted admission to Humboldt sporting events, 

  • Educationally-priced hardware and software from the Humboldt Bookstore.

*Note: A current Humboldt ID card is required for discounted bus transit (Jack Pass), library access, on-campus computer lab access, educationally priced hardware and software from the Humboldt Bookstore, and discounted admission to all Humboldt sporting games.


  • Participants cannot receive a degree through the Over 60 Program.

  • The Over 60 Program fees only apply to regular University courses –- they do not apply to Extended Education courses or OLLI (Osher Lifelong Learning Institute). You must pay the fees for these courses separately and in full.

  • Participants must be a current resident of California, and have lived in California for at least one year.

  • Registration is on a space-available basis.

  • Participants may register for up to 6 units per semester. The six units do not accrue from semester to semester, and cannot be used at a later date or retroactively.

  • Instructor and department chair approval is required, even if space is available. The College of Extended Education & Global Engagement cannot guarantee you a space, nor assure you will be permitted to enroll in any class.

  • Students are only approved to register for and attend classes that they have received permission to take. 
  • Instructors may exclude a student from attending courses if the student cannot provide proof of registration for the course.

  • Students are required to notify the College of Extended Education of any schedule changes (adds, drops, etc.). 

  • Expectation is for students to know how to use technology in advance to participate in the course, and have computer and internet access.

Steps to Register

Registration is on a space-available basis.

  1. Select the course(s) you want from the listing in the regular Cal Poly Humboldt Schedule of Classes.

  2. Receive consent from the instructor to take the class (e-mail the instructor to obtain permission to take the course and request a permission number). The Cal Poly Humboldt faculty and staff directory can be found here: its.humboldt.edu/directory

  3. Submit an online registration with payment. Enter the permission number in the appropriate space on the registration form. Once you submit the registration, you will be taken to a payment portal. You must make payment in order to complete the registration. Note that it may take one to three days after submitting the registration before you are granted access to Canvas, the online instructional portal.


After Registration

After you have been registered for class, you should do the following:



$62 (for up to 6 units)

Over 60s fees are subject to revision.

The College of Extended Education & Global Engagement can accept payment by check, money order, cash or credit card (VISA, MasterCard and Discover are accepted for payment). Please make all checks or money orders payable to Cal Poly Humboldt.

Some courses may also require an individual course fee, as indicated in the schedule of classes (i.e. lab fees).

ID cards can also be purchased for an additional $5


Frequently Asked Questions about the Over 60 Program at Cal Poly Humboldt

What does Credit/No Credit/Audit mean?

Credit/no Credit and Audit refer to the grade mode. If you choose credit/no credit for a class, then you are opting out of a letter grade in favor of a pass/fail format. You can also choose to take the class without receiving a grade, or "audit," the class. Auditing a class still requires registration and payment.

How can I change my grade mode?

In order to change grade mode to credit/no credit or audit, please e-mail a grade mode change form to the College of Extended Education & Global Engagement with your registration date.

How can I add or drop a class?

To add a class after you have already been registered, please submit another registration form. To drop a class, you must fill and submit a drop form. To submit the form digitally, please download the PDF, fill it out completely, and email it to extended@humboldt.edu.

Drop forms may also be completed in person at the College of Extended Education and Global Engagement between the hours of 9 a.m.-4 p.m., Monday-Friday. Please note that if you wish to add a class, or decide to stop going to class during a semester, you must do so prior to the deadline at Dates to Remember.

Can I get a Humboldt ID card?

As a participant in the Over 60 Program, you are entitled to Cal Poly Humboldt library privileges with the use of your student ID card. A Humboldt ID is available for $5, which can be paid for during registration. ID Card photos are taken in the Cal Poly Humboldt library.

What is the refund policy?

Please read the refund policy at Drops and Refunds.

May I buy a student bus pass? 

Over 60 Program students are eligible to purchase a student bus pass (Jack Pass). The Jack Pass provides unlimited access to buses of the Arcata and Mad River Transit System, the Redwood Transit System, and the Eureka Transit System. It is available with a current Humboldt ID and the payment of a $60 fee. This fee is paid at the Student Financial Services office, located on the second floor of the Student Business Services building.

What are some other benefits to being a student in the Over 60 Program? 

Those enrolled in the Over 60 Program through Extended Education & Global Engagement will also be entitled to Cal Poly Humboldt computer lab privileges, educationally-priced hardware and software from the Humboldt Bookstore, and discounted admission to Cal Poly Humboldt athletic events.

Also, Over 60 Program students may purchase access to the Cal Poly Humboldt Student Recreation Center for $73/semester. Payment is accepted directly at the Student Recreation Center *(Humboldt ID card required).

Do students in the Over 60 Program have access to the Health Center or Emergency Services?

Health benefits are not available to students in the Over 60 Program. Emergency services are available at the Student Health Center: (707) 826-3146 or by calling 911.

More Questions?

If you have questions regarding the Over 60 Program, please contact the College of Extended Education & Global Engagement at (707) 826-3731, or e-mail.


See the complete Cal Poly Humboldt schedule of classes


Over 60 Program Online Registration Form