Over 60 Program

Take HSU classes at a reduced rate in the Over 60 Program

If you are age 60 or older and a California resident, you are invited to participate in the Humboldt State University Over 60 Program during the fall and spring semesters. You must be a current resident of California, and have lived in California for at least one year.

The CSU system accepts only non-matriculated new students in the Over 60 Program. (If you are a continuing matriculated Over 60 Program student, you may continue in the program until you complete your degree.)

The Over 60 program does not accept students for summer session. This information applies to fall and spring semesters only.

Cost and services available through the Over 60 Program are subject to change without notice.


The fee is $61/semester (as of spring 2019). Participants may take up to 6 units per semester. If you are a new student, you must pay an additional $5 fee for an HSU ID Card.

The Over 60 Program fees only apply to regular University courses –- they do not apply to Extended Education courses or OLLI (Osher Lifelong Learning Institute). You must pay the fees for these courses separately and in full.



(PDF downloads require Adobe Reader, which may be downloaded FREE from the Adobe website.)

Non-matriculated Over 60 Students

  1. Select the courses you want from the sample listing in the Extension bulletin or the regular HSU Schedule of Classes.

  2. Print and fill out the OVER 60 REGISTRATION FORM (PDF). (PDFs require the free Adobe Reader) You may also call 826-3731.

  3. E-mail the instructor and department chair to obtain permission to take the course and attach e-mails to registration form. Or you may attend the first class meeting and acquire the instructor's and department chair's signatures. Registration is on a space-available basis.

  4. Return your signed form (e-mail or hard copy) to the College of Extended Education & Global Engagement and pay your fees by the semester registration deadline. See deadlines.

Matriculated Over 60 Students

New matriculated students (those who have been admitted into a degree program) are no longer accepted into the Over 60 Program. However, matriculated Over 60 students will be allowed to continue in the Over 60 Program until completion of their degree. They will pay the current fee and be limited to 6 units per semester (fall and spring only).

Matriculated Over 60 students taking more than 6 units will be required to pay regular student fees for the additional units. These students will be contacted by the Office of the Registrar.

General Information about the Over 60 Program

Credit/No Credit/Audit

Classes are available on a “credit/no credit” or letter grade. You can also choose to “audit” the class. Credit/no credit grading mode should be selected when you register for a class. Auditing requires a special form approved by the instructor for each class to be audited. This form is available in the Office of the Registrar, SBS 133. [This information is subject to change]

Dropping/Adding a Class

If you wish to add a class, or decide to stop going to class during a semester, you must do so prior to the deadline published in the Extension bulletin or go to Dates to Remember.

ID Card & Library

As a participant in the Over 60 Program, you are entitled to HSU library privileges with the use of your student ID Card.

If you are a new student and include $5 for an HSU ID card in your fees to the College of Extended Education & Global Engagement, you will be mailed a receipt for both.

Your name and HSU ID number will be provided to the HSU library.

New students need to make arrangements at the HSU library for having a picture taken for the ID.

ID Card photos are taken in the HSU library (Fall/Spring, subject to change):
Monday-Thursday: 11 a.m.-1 p.m. and 6-9 p.m. or by appointment by calling 826-5601.

Refund Policy

Please read the refund policy in the Extension bulletin or go to Drops and Refunds.

Transportation Services

The Jack Pass provides unlimited access to buses of the Arcata and Mad River Transit System, the Redwood Transit System and the Eureka Transit System. It is available with a current HSU ID and the payment of a $60 fee. This fee is paid at the Student Financial Services office located on the second floor of the Student Business Services building.

When you pay this fee, you will receive a receipt and your information will be electronically given to the bus company. It is wise to keep the receipt in case it takes a couple of days for the bus company to upload the information.

Other Privileges

Those enrolled in the Over 60 Program through Extended Education & Global Engagement will also be entitled to HSU computer lab privileges, educationally-priced hardware and software from the HSU Bookstore, and discounted admission to HSU athletic events.

Also, Over 60 students may gain access to the HSU Student Recreation Center for $48/semester. Payment is accepted directly at the Student Recreation Center. Therafter, these privileges will be available when you show your HSU ID card.

Emergency Services

Health benefits are not available to students in the Over 60 Program. Emergency services are available at the Student Health Center: 826-3146 or by calling 911.Parking Permits

Before you buy a permit, estimate how many times you class will meet. Compare that to a semester parking permit price and to the cost of parking at a meter. You might save money by purchasing one-day permits or parking at a meter.

To get more information about parking, go the Parking and Commuter Services website.

More Questions?

If you have questions regarding the Over 60 Program, please contact the College of Extended Education & Global Engagement, call (707) 826-3731, or e-mail.


(PDF downloads require Adobe Reader, which may be downloaded FREE from the Adobe website.)

Cost and services available through the Over 60 Program are subject to change without notice.