• Leadership Studies - Photo of woman presenting to her team

How to Apply: Leadership Studies

1. Contact Us.

E-mail or call us at 707-826-3731 to learn more about whether Leadership Studies is right for you.

2. Determine that you have completed the requirements to be considered an Upper Division Transfer Student.

If you have completed at least 60 and up to 70 units of lower division coursework, you are considered an upper division transfer student. If you aren't sure how many college units you will have, you can check copies of your transcripts.

If you are not certain how many college units you have, please check your transcripts. An academic advisor from our office can help you determine transfer options.

Unit and Course Requirements

  1. You must complete -- before your application term -- at least 60 and up to 70 units of lower division coursework with at least a 2.0 cumulative grade point average based on your transferable work.
  2. Within those 60-70 units, you must complete at least 30 units of general education (GE) coursework with grades of C- or higher. If you'd like to check GE courses online for California public colleges, you can go to www.assist.org for useful course lists by college and GE subject area.
  3. As part of those 30 GE units, you must complete, with C- or better, all four of these subject areas:
    1. Written Communication (English Composition)
    2. Oral Communication (Public Speaking)
    3. Critical Thinking
    4. Mathematics/Quantitative Reasoning
  4. All required subjects must be completed before your first term at Humboldt. Fall applicants must complete all admission requirements before summer begins.
  5. You must be in good academic standing at the last institution attended.

3. Submit an application at Cal State Apply and submit your transcripts to HSU.

To complete the Cal State Apply Undergraduate Online Application:

  1. Go to the Cal State Apply Undergraduate Online Application.
  2. Choose Humboldt State University as the campus, and click “Start an Online Application.”
  3. Scroll to the bottom of the page and click “Begin Undergraduate Application for Humboldt State University."
  4. On the Undergraduate Application for Humboldt State University, you will indicate the Term (Fall or spring/year), and complete your "Extended Profile" like this to see the major:
    Screenshot of Degree Goals on HSU undergraduate application
    This will allow you to select the Intended Major (Interdisciplinary Studies - Leadership Studies) and indicate your Entry Status (60 + units).
  5. Then complete each section of the application and submit it when complete.
  6. Have your official college transcripts sent to the HSU Admissions Office: Office of Admissions, Incoming Transcripts, 1 Harpst Street, Arcata, CA 95521
    • If you enroll in college courses the previous spring, you will also need to make arrangements for those additional transcripts to be sent to Admissions as soon as final grades are posted.
    • Note: Check your HSU Student Center account To Do List weekly to see what we’re waiting for: myhumboldt.humboldt.edu

4. After You Apply: Receipt of Application

You should receive a written confirmation that HSU has received your application within a short time after you apply. If more than three weeks pass, and you still haven't heard back, please call HSU Admissions (707) 826-4402 or toll free (866) 850-9556.

5. Submit your FAFSA (Financial Aid Application).

Submit your application: www.fafsa.ed.gov. Please be aware that State University Grants and Cal Grants cannot be applied to pay for this program; however, Federal Pell Grants and Federal Student Loans may be applied.