June 19-25, 2022
How to Apply & Deadlines
Sequoia accepts 45-55 intermediate and advanced students with strong sight-reading skills, ages 12 to 20.
The workshop accepts players of violin, viola, cello, bass, flute, oboe, clarinet, bassoon, and French horn. Pianists with good reading skills are also encouraged to apply.
- DOWNLOAD APPLICATION FORM*
- DOWNLOAD TEACHER RECOMMENDATION FORM*
- DOWNLOAD LIABILITY/MEDICAL/MODEL RELEASE FORMS*
*PDF: Adobe Reader required
The application deadline has been extended to June 1, at which time the selection process will begin. Applications received after this time will be considered, if there are still places available.
Proof of COVID-19 vaccination (including a booster shot) or a negative test result will be required for any workshop participant or visitor who is over the age of 12 accessing indoor and outdoor campus events. See details on this requirement below.
Applications are to include:
- a completed application form
- a teacher recommendation form submitted directly by the teacher (not needed for returning applicants)
- a two-minute digital audition recording: (MP3, MP4, or WAV file) demonstrating your abilities on the instrument (no audition material required).
Tuition & Housing Fees
Non-refundable application fee: $50
Tuition: $490. A discount of 10% will be available to additional children of families sending more than one child to the workshop.
Housing: Single, $486; Double, $426. Six nights package includes meals starting with dinner on June 19 and ending with lunch on June 25.
Given the very low student/teacher ratio, the costs for attending Sequoia are relatively modest. Nonetheless, we recognize that they may be beyond the means of the families of some highly qualified and deserving players. Therefore, Sequoia will do everything it can, within its own financial limitations, to make it possible for these students to attend. Any requests for partial tuition grants should be made at the time of the application and should include a copy of the first two pages of the parents' latest Federal Tax returns.
Sequoia takes place on the gorgeous campus of Cal Poly Humboldt in Arcata, California. Humboldt is home to one of the largest chamber music libraries on the west coast, a collection of more than 13,000 pieces for every imaginable combination of instruments. This extensive library provides students with the opportunity to explore rare and interesting works, as well as old favorites.
Rehearsals, classes and performances take place in the two music buildings on campus which include a number of rehearsal and practice rooms and a ping-pong table and lounge area for recreation between coaching sessions.
Workshop students are housed in residence halls on the campus. Students are separated on different floors by gender, and supervised by male and female dorm monitors who enforce the nightly curfew.
Sequoia's rules and policies conform to all laws pertaining to smoking, drug and alcohol use, as well as to regulations concerning health, safety, and environmental protection. Additional rules, such as curfews, have been established to protect student and staff privacy and safety. All rules will be strictly enforced, and willful violation can lead to immediate dismissal from the workshop without refund.
Full Vaccination Required for All Sequoia Campers, Visitors and Guests
- In order to best protect the campus community, proof of COVID-19 vaccination (including a booster shot) or a negative test result will be required for any workshop camper or visitor who is over the age of 12 accessing indoor and outdoor campus events unless they are staff, faculty, or a student.
- Anyone inviting off-campus visitors or guests should inform the invitee of all requirements.
- Complete a wellness self-check prior to coming to campus and/or the meeting.
- Do not attend if you have symptoms of COVID-19 or suspect you have been exposed to COVID-19.
- Wear face masks indoors, regardless of vaccination or test status, and also in outdoor settings if you cannot maintain 6 feet social distance.
- Follow Humboldt County and CDC health and safety guidelines.
Attendees and visitors will have the option of showing:
- proof of full vaccination including booster shot.
- OR proof of a negative test result within 72 hours of arrival.
- OR a Cal-State or University of California staff, faculty, or student ID.
Regardless of vaccination status or test status, all attendees or visitors age 2 and older must wear a mask at all times while on campus.
What if my child is under the age of 12?
Your child is always welcome to visit Cal Poly Humboldt. When entering a Humboldt facility, inform those at the door of your child's age. Your child will be required to mask during the duration of the event if they are over the age of 2.
What can I show as a proof of vaccination?
You can show any of the following:
- Physical CDC Vaccination Card for COVID-19 or a photo/screenshot of your vaccination card
- State of California Digital COVID-19 Vaccination Record
- A printout from any state health department or physician's office with your vaccination information stated clearly
What do I show as proof of a negative test?
Any photo/screenshot that shows the date of the test result and the date the test was taken or a printout of an official email from a lab with the test results and testing date clearly printed.
For more information, contact the director:
Dr. Bill Harrington, DMA
email@example.com for more information and to be added to the mailing list