Form I-20

Obtaining Immigration Form I-20

To receive a form I-20 and enter the U.S. in F-1 visa status, students must first apply for admission to Cal Poly Humboldt. During the application process, you will be required to prove that you meet the academic qualifications for admission, English language proficiency (except if you are applying to IELI), and that adequate financial resources exist to fund your education. If you are found to be admissible, the official offer of admission and Form I-20 will be sent to you. The Form I-20 supports applications for the F-1 visa, requests to changing to F-1 status and entering the U.S. in F-1 status.

Maintaining Immigration Form I-20

It is the responsibility of the student to ensure that Form I-20 remains accurate.

In particular:

  • The “Program End Date” should always be in the future while a student at Cal Poly Humboldt. If this date will expire before you complete your degree program, you must apply for a program extension before the expiration date.
  • Any changes to your Major, Address and/or Name should be reported within 10 days of the change. To report the change and request an updated Form I-20, please complete the I-20 Update Form.
  • You must obtain a travel authorization signature on the Form I-20 from a Designated School Official (DSO) in International Programs during any semester of foreign travel after initial admission. To request travel authorization, complete the Travel Request Form at least two weeks before the planned foreign travel. The original, signed, Form I-20 must be presented at the port of entry when a student re-enters the U.S.