How to Apply for International Undergraduate Admission

STEP 1: Apply Online at Cal State Apply (view instructions here)

  • Application Fee of U.S. $70.00 (non-refundable) can be paid online when applying on Cal State Apply. 

  • Please note that Cal State Apply works best with Google Chrome.  Your application is complete when all four quadrants are blue in color.

STEP 2: Submit the Certification of Financial Support [PDF*] along with a Bank Statement

STEP 3: Submit Official Transcripts of Academic Records (Translated to English)

We can use unofficial copies to move forward with an evaluation and admission decision/offer.  If you'd like to expedite the review process, please email unofficial test score and transcript copies to international@humboldt.edu.

STEP 4: Send Proof of English Proficiency 

  • All test scores must be sent to us directly from the examination company.

  • Score reports that were issued to students will not be accepted.     

  • We accept many different tests. Click here to see the list.

STEP 5: Send a photocopy of your passport

STEP 6: Submit Student Consent for Release of Information [PDF*] if you are an agent submitting an application on behalf of the student.

STEP 7: Email or mail your application materials to:   


College of Extended Education & Global Engagement
International Programs/International Student Admissions
Cal Poly Humboldt - Library 203
1 Harpst Street
Arcata, CA 95521-8299 USA

STEP 9: Check Your Email

  • We will email you after we review your application.

  • If you do not receive an email, make sure to check your Spam or Junk Folder. 

Eligibility Requirements for International Students

Undergraduate entry requirements

First-Time Freshmen

Note: some majors are impacted and have higher GPA requirements.  For more information, please visit the Office of Admissions website.  Currently, the following majors require a higher GPA: Biology, Botany, Environmental Science & Management, Wildlife, and Zoology.

Transfer entry requirements

  • A GPA of 2.0 on a 4.0 scale on college coursework

  • A GPA of 2.5 on a 4.0 scale on high school coursework (if less than 60 transferable semester units)

  • English Language Proficiency

Note: some majors may be impacted and have additional eligibility requirements.  For more information, please visit the Office of Admissions website on impaction to see if your major is affected by impaction criteria.

SAT/ACT Testing

International applicants are not required to take the SAT or ACT.  However, students who take these tests and receive a high score on the Math or English components may be exempt from the English proficiency requirement.  If you have taken either of these tests, please submit scores while applying.  These tests are widely available overseas and can save you time if your scores are high.

More information:

Undergraduate Application Deadlines and Dates
Term you wish to begin Applications Open Apply By
Fall (August - December) October 1 April 1
Spring (January - May) August 1 October 1

It generally takes one week to evaluate a complete file and make a decision. Your application must be complete by the application deadline (received by close of business on that date), or you will need to reapply for the following semester.

Application Term of Entry Updates

Humboldt's application for admission applies only to the term of entry indicated on the application form at the time of submission. If you would like to update the term of entry on your application, simply log back into your saved application stored in CSU Mentor, update your desired term of entry, confirm your address and previously attended institutions are still current, and submit the form with your application fee. Humboldt will then notify you upon receipt of your updated application. 


*PDFs require the free Adobe Reader or similar to view, complete and save.