Dependents (F-2 Status)

The spouse and any unmarried children under the age of 21 of a student in F-1 status are eligible for F-2 status. Only spouses and unmarried children under the age of 21 are eligible for a Form I-20 to support F-2 status. When a student applies to Cal Poly Humboldt, they must provide additional funds to receive an I-20 for their F-2 dependent(s).

If a student is already attending Cal Poly Humboldt and would like their dependents to apply for an F-1 visa stamp, they must complete the I-20 Update Form and provide the appropriate financials indicated in the Certificate of Financial Support.

The F-2 status of spouses and children is dependent on the student's F-1 status. If the student is not in status, his or her spouse and children are not in status. F-2 spouses and children must also maintain a valid passport, valid Form I-20 and valid Form I-94.

Dependents eligible for F-2 status may apply for an F-2 visa stamp with their F-1 spouse or parent. Most consulates will schedule F-1 and F-2 visa applications at the same time, but it is important that consulates are informed that there will be accompanying F-2 applicants at the time that a visa application interview is scheduled.

Individuals in F-2 status are not eligible to pursue postsecondary education and are not eligible to engage in any type of employment. Before engaging in any endeavor that is linked to education or some type of work or volunteerism, the student should verify with International Programs (International Programs) if it is possible for their spouse or child to do so. If there is any remuneration for services, the endeavor is almost definitely unlawful employment. Unlawful employment can also be unpaid work.