International Programs FAQs

Am I eligible for financial aid or a scholarship?

As Cal Poly Humboldt is a public institution, we currently do not offer financial aid international students. We do have limited scholarships for international students. You can find more information in our Funding & Scholarships section. Some students come with government scholarships from their home country, others use their own funds or family funds. Most students rely on their own or family's savings. You may be able to find financial aid or scholarships in your home countries or through U.S. organizations in specific fields. If you are a graduate student, you may be able to find graduate assistantships and/or tuition waivers through some graduate departments. Please consult with your department for details.

Will I be able to work while studying at Humboldt?

International students are permitted to work on-campus up to 20 hours per week. Off-campus employment is not permitted during the first academic year and may only be granted with special work authorization by the Immigration service. A limited number of internship positions are available with a waiver of a portion of non-resident tuition in exchange for hours worked. Students must be enrolled full-time for at least one year in order to be eligible for these positions.

Can I send my TOEFL score myself?

You can send a scanned copy of your TOEFL or English scores for an initital evaluation. Before you enroll in classes, TOEFL scores must be submitted by the testing organization. Our college institution code is 4345.

Do I need to turn in my TOEFL score even if I have studied in the U.S.?

If you have attended a college or university in the U.S. and have completed English Composition (or equivalent) with a grade of B or higher, you do not need to submit your TOEFL score. Also, if you have graduated from an accredited four-year high school in the U.S. and have completed four years of English college preparation course work with grades of B or higher, you do not need to submit your TOEFL score.

What if my TOEFL score does not reach the requirement?

If you are unable to meet our English language requirement, you will either need to continue to remediate your English in your home country, and re-test and re-apply. Or, you can reach out to one of our partner ESL providers. If you apply through one of our partner ESL providers, you will be eligible for conditional admission. Read more about conditional admission.

Do I need to take the SAT or the ACT?

No, you do not need to take the SAT or the ACT. If you do take the SAT or ACT and meet a certain score, your English Proficiency Requirement might be waived. Please review our English Proficiency Requirements for more information.

Are there specific requirements for graduate students?

Aside from the TOEFL, graduate students may be required to take the GRE and GMAT for specific programs. Please contact your graduate departments.

What is the cost of attendance?

International students must be enrolled full-time (12 units per semester for undergraduates; 9 units per semester for graduates). Additional costs include books and other school supplies, medical insurance, housing, food, and miscellaneous expenses. Please find estimated yearly costs below. Students are required to prove the ability to pay these amount when applying to study at Humboldt.

Click here for an estimate of costs.

Visit the International English Language Institute (IELI) to learn about costs to study English.

What is the cost for exchange students?

In order to study at Cal Poly Humboldt as an exchange student, the college or university you are currently attending needs to have an approved bilateral exchange agreement with us. Visit our Exchange website for more information.

Will the courses I have taken at my university count at Humboldt?

It depends on the course content. Some of your courses may be considered relevant to your major and others may be compatible with the General Education requirements.

Are 3-Year Bachelor's Degrees accepted?
  • Accepted for some students
  • Must have a Bologna-compliant degree Indian Schools: 3-year degree must be from a recognized and accredited institution with an NAAC grade of A and be accompanied by a PGD from an institution that is accredited or recognized by the NAAC and/or AICTE. Or, a 3-year bachelor’s degree and a 2-year Indian master’s degree (with at least 50% in marks obtained) from NAAC accredited institution.
  • Pre-evaluations cannot be made. Students must formally apply before credentials will be evaluated.
Can I send the required documents via e-mail?

Yes, we accept scanned copies of your documentation for admissions purposes. You will have to have your transcripts sent directly from the institutions to Humboldt before you begin classes.

Will a copy of my transcript be accepted?

No, you need to have your original transcript sent to us directly from your school in a sealed envelop. If your school issues only one transcript for all future use, you may submit a copy but it must have been compared with and certified as a true copy of the original document by an appropriate school or government official. In this case, you will be asked to present the original document to the evaluator for verification once you arrive.

Are there special events, clubs, or programs for international students?

Yes, Humboldt offers many opportunities for both domestic and international students to learn and experience diverse cultures in the world. We enjoy the International Education Week, Campus & Community Dialogue on Race, International Cultural Festival, and other events with multicultural aspects, which of course international students can be part of. Also, you can join the Global Connections Club and hang out with other students who want to share cultures. If you are worried about your academic skills, the Learning Center provides workshops and one-on-one assistance on writing, reading, note-taking strategies and other study skills. They have a language skills specialist who can help you with language difficulties as well.

Will I need a car?

In most cases you will not. The city of Arcata, where Humboldt is located, has a good public transportation system and provides free access to the buses for Humboldt students and faculty. You can take the bus, walk or bicycle to most places in town.