Propose to Teach a Course for Osher Lifelong Learning Institute (OLLI)
Thank you for your interest in proposing a course to teach with OLLI at HSU. OLLI welcomes dynamic and engaging instructors to teach classes. Classes in various disciplines will be considered.
We are currently in the planning phase for our winter and spring programming. If you are interested in teaching with us, please read the information below and fill out a course proposal form and we will be in touch with next steps.
Course proposals for our new Winter 2019 intercession and Spring 2019 are now being accepted.
Winter dates will be held on Wednesdays, Thursdays, Fridays or Saturdays between Jan. 23 and Feb. 16
Classes will each be held in a 2 1/2 hour, one class meeting format. Classes will meet from either 10:30 a.m.-1 p.m. or 2-4:30 p.m. Classes with a field trip can be a full day. We will not be holding classes that meet over multiple weeks but rather we are soliciting courses which can stand alone in a 2 1/2 hour block.
Fees for winter classes will be $35 or $70 for a full day.
About Spring Classes:
Spring classes will run from March 4 and will end May 31.
How does OLLI review and select proposed courses?
OLLI brings together experienced and interesting professionals with a motivated group of learners in 4- to 6-week classes or shorter workshops. Classes have no homework or tests, and the most successful classes are those which are interactive and which respect and include the life experience of the members.
How it works:
- You propose a course, including a brief description, your preferred meeting dates & times.
- Once the course is accepted, OLLI arranges facilities & marketing, registers students & collects payment.
- You teach your course to a fabulous community of lifelong learners.
- You are paid 50% of the income generated from the course.
Course proposals are collected and reviewed by the OLLI director and members of the OLLI Curriculum Committee.
Please note: All OLLI instructors must be a current member of OLLI and should have taken at least one OLLI class prior to submitting a course proposal.
Course selection criteria are based upon the following standards. The course ideally will:
- include an academic/intellectual component.
- offer new skills/ideas to enhance life.
- explore a topic(s) of interest to OLLI membership.
- highlight feature aspects of our community (artistic, economic, environmental).
- allow OLLI members access to University level research and instructors from HSU and beyond.
Course proposals need not address all these standards for selection — however, the more the better!
Please ensure your class start date is within the term dates listed above. We do not offer classes on holidays.
If you have not previously taught for OLLI at HSU or the College of Extended Education & Global Engagement, please send a résumé or curriculum vitae to Sheila Rocker Heppe, OLLI Director: email@example.com or to Humboldt State University, Osher Lifelong Learning Institute, 1 Harpst St., Arcata, CA 95521.