Faculty Immigration Resources

Please follow the links below to access information and forms for J-1 Exchange Visitors and H-1B Visa holders. Email or call (707-826-4142) International Programs at the College of Extended Education & Global Engagement with any questions.

To view the Academic Affairs Policy on Support for Non-Immigrant Probationary Faculty, visit the Administrative Memoranda website.

International Programs at the College of Extended Education & Global Engagement (CEEGE) is the official campus office for submission of visa applications. International Programs/CEEGE advises hiring units and international faculty on required documentation and provides advice and assistance. 

Here is some general information for the hiring unit and the international faculty member in getting the process started.

  • The department chair or dean may inquire if a prospective faculty member needs U.S. work authorization only after making an informal offer of employment. This information should not be shared with campus reviewers until a formal written offer of employment is made.
  • All prospective faculty who are not U.S. citizens or permanent residents need to obtain an H-1B visa sponsored by Humboldt before they can begin employment. This applies even if the new faculty member is already in the U.S. with a J-1 or H-1B visa sponsored by another employer. 
  • The hiring unit should contact International Programs/CEEGE at 707-826-4142 as soon as a prospective faculty member has indicated that he/she is likely to accept a formal offer.
  • Even on the most aggressive timeline (at additional cost), it requires more than 2 months to get an H-1B visa approved from the time that the hiring unit submits the H-1B visa request packet and supporting materials to BIO.
  • The H-1B visa application requires that the hiring unit and the new international faculty member submit a number of documents as described on the International Programs/CEEGE website.
  • Hiring units are encouraged to submit the application for Permanent Residency status immediately after submission of the materials for the H-1B visa application. The PR application must be submitted within 18 months of the date on the formal written offer letter of employment.
  • The hiring unit is responsible for paying the fees for the visa application. The new faculty member is responsible for a few additional fees, as well as visa fees for family members.